Providence Fleet Yards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harkening for Science

3 posters

Go down

Harkening for Science Empty Harkening for Science

Post  Shras/Eiri Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:28 pm

[En route to the medical bay]
[January 12, 2387, 1815 hrs]

Eiri's mind was a whir of questions as he left the meeting and headed straight for the medical bay. He tapped his com badge, "Garrett? would you please join me in the medical bay?" He pulled a PADD seemingly from nowhere and began pouring over it. "I do not care what they say I do not want that virus on this ship." He reached back for Ayan's hand, who was hopefully following behind him. "It may be a watered down version and perhaps even curable, but it was a designed as a weapon. You never know how insidious those can be. None of those people are to be allowed aboard this ship."

<tag all science and medical!>
Shras/Eiri
Shras/Eiri

http://kyphi5.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Harkening for Science Empty Re: Harkening for Science

Post  Gerard Garrett Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:15 pm

Cogs in Garrett’s head were spinning and tearing out the cobwebs engendered by his long shift. Biology was his element, and the case of the Siren had presented him with a problem to be solved. The hunt for the solution promised to be exquisitely satisfying, and would perhaps even serve as a welcome diversion from the ugly world of Romulan-Federation politics. As far as he was concerned, the summons from Commander Ashshy was a welcome gift. Still in thought, he strode through the sliding doors and slowed to a stop in front of the Counselor.

“Sir.” He nodded and extended a hand, a hint of a smile drawing back the muscles of his scalp. “Another weird medical case for us to talk about, eh? What’s the situation?”
Gerard Garrett
Gerard Garrett

Back to top Go down

Post  Retol Ayan Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Eiri's mind was a whir of questions as he left the meeting and headed straight for the medical bay. He tapped his com badge, "Garrett? would you please join me in the medical bay?" He pulled a PADD seemingly from nowhere and began pouring over it. "I do not care what they say I do not want that virus on this ship." He reached back for Ayan's hand, who was hopefully following behind him. "It may be a watered down version and perhaps even curable, but it was a designed as a weapon. You never know how insidious those can be. None of those people are to be allowed aboard this ship."

Ayan's mind had wandered, and he fell behind the unusually brisk pace of the counselor. He shook his head to clear it and took two fast strides, taking Eiri's hand and giving it a gentle squeeze. "We have to study it somehow, Eiri," he said. "We can work to see if there are force fields, ways of isolating a cargo bay from the air circulation systems, something. Or something over there. We can't study it through data downlink. It's just not enough." He shrugged as they walked into sickbay. "Heya doc," he called out. "Looks like you're gonna be busy again," he said, smirking at the short doctor.

Fletcher sighed and looked at Eiri and Ayan. "Why don't we just pretend you both are here for your physicals? And why don't we pretend my medical staff are actually here instead of off somewhere. Again."

Cogs in Garrett’s head were spinning and tearing out the cobwebs engendered by his long shift. Biology was his element, and the case of the Siren had presented him with a problem to be solved. The hunt for the solution promised to be exquisitely satisfying, and would perhaps even serve as a welcome diversion from the ugly world of Romulan-Federation politics. As far as he was concerned, the summons from Commander Ashshy was a welcome gift. Still in thought, he strode through the sliding doors and slowed to a stop in front of the Counselor.

“Sir.” He nodded and extended a hand, a hint of a smile drawing back the muscles of his scalp. “Another weird medical case for us to talk about, eh? What’s the situation?”

<tag. And the magic disappearing medical team strikes again!>
Retol Ayan
Retol Ayan

Back to top Go down

Post  Shras/Eiri Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:43 pm

[Medical Bay]
[January 12, 2387, 1817 hrs]

Ayan's mind had wandered, and he fell behind the unusually brisk pace of the counselor. He shook his head to clear it and took two fast strides, taking Eiri's hand and giving it a gentle squeeze. "We have to study it somehow, Eiri," he said. "We can work to see if there are force fields, ways of isolating a cargo bay from the air circulation systems, something. Or something over there. We can't study it through data downlink. It's just not enough." He shrugged as they walked into sickbay. "Heya doc," he called out. "Looks like you're gonna be busy again," he said, smirking at the short doctor.

Fletcher sighed and looked at Eiri and Ayan. "Why don't we just pretend you both are here for your physicals? And why don't we pretend my medical staff are actually here instead of off somewhere. Again."

Eiri took Garrett's hand and squeezed it. "The worst. The Cardassian's used this illness as a form of chemical warfare. When we dealt with it before it was deadly. The Captain assures me that what this ship carries is a mild form of the same virus, possibly curable, which is what we are going to have to work on. As fast as possible we need to find the vector and then some form of inoculation, fast. It is always possible that it will mutate back into its original strain, so the greatest care must be expressed when dealing with the virus or anyone that might be infected."

<tag>
Shras/Eiri
Shras/Eiri

Back to top Go down

Post  Gerard Garrett Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:30 pm

[Medical Bay]

Eiri took Garrett's hand and squeezed it. "The worst. The Cardassian's used this illness as a form of chemical warfare. When we dealt with it before it was deadly. The Captain assures me that what this ship carries is a mild form of the same virus, possibly curable, which is what we are going to have to work on. As fast as possible we need to find the vector and then some form of inoculation, fast. It is always possible that it will mutate back into its original strain, so the greatest care must be expressed when dealing with the virus or anyone that might be infected."

Garrett grunted, his expression sobering. “Even if the Captain’s right, I’d say we should act on the assumption she’s wrong and that we’ve encountered the weaponized strain. Viruses mutate all the time, for better or worse. We should treat it as if it were airborne and as nasty as when the Cardassians were using it.” He turned to Doctor Fletcher. “If I had your permission and your help, sir, I’d like to inoculate some fresh humanoid cell cultures with a sample of the pathogen from the Siren and get a better idea of exactly what we’re dealing with.”

<tag>
Gerard Garrett
Gerard Garrett

Back to top Go down

Post  Retol Ayan Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:25 pm

[Medical Bay]

Garrett grunted, his expression sobering. “Even if the Captain’s right, I’d say we should act on the assumption she’s wrong and that we’ve encountered the weaponized strain. Viruses mutate all the time, for better or worse. We should treat it as if it were airborne and as nasty as when the Cardassians were using it.” He turned to Doctor Fletcher. “If I had your permission and your help, sir, I’d like to inoculate some fresh humanoid cell cultures with a sample of the pathogen from the Siren and get a better idea of exactly what we’re dealing with.”

Fletcher made a pained face. "I hesitate to bring something like that on board," he said. "But you're probably right, and I know simulations won't be enough. If what I've heard, read, and seen is any indication, we have to take extreme precautions. I don't want the first photon torpedo someone shoots at us knocking out our containment." He smiles wryly. "As long as no one has any direct contact with the samples, and we can set it up in an environment that any power failure or other tampering means the samples get spaced, I'll sign off on it. Thoughts?"

<tag both>
Retol Ayan
Retol Ayan

Back to top Go down

Post  Gerard Garrett Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:10 pm

[Medical Bay]

Fletcher made a pained face. "I hesitate to bring something like that on board," he said. "But you're probably right, and I know simulations won't be enough. If what I've heard, read, and seen is any indication, we have to take extreme precautions. I don't want the first photon torpedo someone shoots at us knocking out our containment." He smiles wryly. "As long as no one has any direct contact with the samples, and we can set it up in an environment that any power failure or other tampering means the samples get spaced, I'll sign off on it. Thoughts?"

“You know me and my aversion to bringing work outside the lab. In the case of this bug, I’ll personally scrub everybody entering or leaving my area with a virucide if I have to.” Garrett lowered his gaze slightly, staring past Fletcher and into space for a moment. “I don’t have the science labs set up for bio-containment as strict as what you’re asking, though. If you’ve got equipment here in Sickbay that would do the trick, great, but otherwise I’ll have to get in touch with Engineering to get the power backups and transporter locks in place. Could take a couple of hours.”

<tag others>
Gerard Garrett
Gerard Garrett

Back to top Go down

Post  Shras/Eiri Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:34 pm

[Medical Bay]

“You know me and my aversion to bringing work outside the lab. In the case of this bug, I’ll personally scrub everybody entering or leaving my area with a virucide if I have to.” Garrett lowered his gaze slightly, staring past Fletcher and into space for a moment. “I don’t have the science labs set up for bio-containment as strict as what you’re asking, though. If you’ve got equipment here in Sickbay that would do the trick, great, but otherwise I’ll have to get in touch with Engineering to get the power backups and transporter locks in place. Could take a couple of hours.”

Eiri nodded at Garrett. "Do it anyway. We may not even need them, but a back up system somewhere on the ship would be advised and if you plan on studying it in your labs you'll have to have the containment anyway, might as well do it now. We still have time before we reach the ship, but not much so let us stay focused on what we are doing. Does anyone have any more questions? I have sent the information I have to everyone's PADD."

<tag others>
Shras/Eiri
Shras/Eiri

Back to top Go down

Post  Gerard Garrett Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:37 pm

[Medical Bay]

Eiri nodded at Garrett. "Do it anyway. We may not even need them, but a back up system somewhere on the ship would be advised and if you plan on studying it in your labs you'll have to have the containment anyway, might as well do it now. We still have time before we reach the ship, but not much so let us stay focused on what we are doing. Does anyone have any more questions? I have sent the information I have to everyone's PADD."

“Aye, Commander,” Garrett replied. “Doctor, I’ll see that Lab 2 gets prepped to contain viral samples. If Science learns anything new, you’ll be the first to know.”

<tag if desired>
Gerard Garrett
Gerard Garrett

Back to top Go down

Post  Shras/Eiri Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:45 pm

((In the name of moving the plot forward faster I went ahead and posted this... Hope you guys don't mind. =P Gonna lock it now. ))
Shras/Eiri
Shras/Eiri

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum