Providence Fleet Yards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Science+Engineering

2 posters

Go down

Science+Engineering Empty Science+Engineering

Post  Gerard Garrett Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:40 pm

USS Rhode Island-Science Lab 2
January 12, 2387
1830 HRS

His sigh echoed off the quiet, dim gray bulkheads of the lab as he considered the hours of modification that were to come. Necessary though those hours might be, the idea of placing a high temple of scientific inquiry into the tinkering hands of the engineering staff brought uncomfortable thoughts of a fragile Gelbian sand sculpture and stampeding herds of Dranzers. Even a field biologist at heart like Garrett still appreciated the value of a lab in working order. “No point delaying,” he muttered in his low bass. “Time to start building some interdepartmental trust.” He tapped his comm badge.

“Garrett to Benson. I’ve got a lab that needs some re-tooling. You wouldn’t have any people to spare for a few hours, would you?”

<tag>
Gerard Garrett
Gerard Garrett

Back to top Go down

Science+Engineering Empty Re: Science+Engineering

Post  Craig Benson Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:26 pm

January 12, 2387
1830 HRS

His sigh echoed off the quiet, dim gray bulkheads of the lab as he considered the hours of modification that were to come. Necessary though those hours might be, the idea of placing a high temple of scientific inquiry into the tinkering hands of the engineering staff brought uncomfortable thoughts of a fragile Gelbian sand sculpture and stampeding herds of Dranzers. Even a field biologist at heart like Garrett still appreciated the value of a lab in working order. “No point delaying,” he muttered in his low bass. “Time to start building some interdepartmental trust.” He tapped his comm badge.

“Garrett to Benson. I’ve got a lab that needs some re-tooling. You wouldn’t have any people to spare for a few hours, would you?”

Craig looked up from his plate, having only just finished devouring the contents that sat on top, with a tap of his own combadge he replied, "Sure, I'll be there in five, Benson out." Rising from his chair and weaving between the other occupied tables in the mess hall towards the exit, Craig began mentally planning his route to the Science Lab. While still a newcomer to the ship, he felt fairly confident with his knowledge of the layout. As he began towards his destination Craig thought about the man that had summoned him, he knew very little about Leiutenant Garrett, hopefully this would give the two men a chance to bond. Strolling through the labs doors, he announced his arrival "You rang, Lieutenant?"

<Tag>
Craig Benson
Craig Benson

Back to top Go down

Post  Gerard Garrett Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:15 pm

January 12, 2387
1830 HRS

Craig looked up from his plate, having only just finished devouring the contents that sat on top, with a tap of his own combadge he replied, "Sure, I'll be there in five, Benson out." Rising from his chair and weaving between the other occupied tables in the mess hall towards the exit, Craig began mentally planning his route to the Science Lab. While still a newcomer to the ship, he felt fairly confident with his knowledge of the layout. As he began towards his destination Craig thought about the man that had summoned him, he knew very little about Leiutenant Garrett, hopefully this would give the two men a chance to bond. Strolling through the labs doors, he announced his arrival "You rang, Lieutenant?"

“I did,” said Garrett, supine on the deck, head inside a utility panel, sitting up slightly to peer at the source of the voice. Seeing two pips on the newcomer’s collar, he rose with a grunt, rolled his neck, and smiled politely. Senior engineer, eh? My lab just might not get totaled, in that case. “Lieutenant Benson, I presume? Hope I didn’t interrupt you from anything important, but I needed somebody who can do the kind of triple-redundant rerouting I’m going to need.” He paused for a moment, smile fading as he mentally reviewed the macabre medical reports Ashshy had given him on the virus he was going to try to contain in this very laboratory. He looked at Benson again. “I want to be sure we're on the same page before we get started: how much do you know about the sickness aboard the Siren?”

<Tag>

Last edited by Gerard Garrett on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thought of a way to make things a little clearer.)
Gerard Garrett
Gerard Garrett

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig Benson Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:34 pm

January 12, 2387
1830 HRS

“I did,” said Garrett, supine on the deck, head inside a utility panel, sitting up slightly to peer at the source of the voice. Seeing two pips on the newcomer’s collar, he rose with a grunt, rolled his neck, and smiled politely. Senior engineer, eh? My lab just might not get totaled, in that case. “Lieutenant Benson, I presume? Hope I didn’t interrupt you from anything important, but I needed somebody who can do the kind of triple-redundant rerouting I’m going to need.” He paused for a moment, smile fading as he mentally reviewed the macabre medical reports Ashshy had given him on the virus he was going to try to contain in this very laboratory. He looked at Benson again. “I want to be sure we're on the same page before we get started: how much do you know about the sickness aboard the Siren?”

"I know nothing," Craig admitted "Today's the first day I've ever encountered it." Walking over to the science officer "I don't even know what 'it' is." Reflecting on the Captains earlier attitude toward the sickness afflicting Siren, "The Captain paid me a visit in Engineering earlier, she chose he words carefully, very secretive, and the captain doesn't strike me as the kind of woman to keep her staff in the dark. To be honest this whole situation has left me feeling a little uneasy." Giving a small smile to Garrett he wondered if the scientist would shed any light on why everyone was so tight lipped about the illness aboard the Siren to the extent that he wasn't even allowed contact with the ships crew.

<tag>
Craig Benson
Craig Benson

Back to top Go down

Post  Gerard Garrett Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:34 pm

January 12, 2387
1830 HRS

"I know nothing," Craig admitted "Today's the first day I've ever encountered it." Walking over to the science officer "I don't even know what 'it' is." Reflecting on the Captains earlier attitude toward the sickness afflicting Siren, "The Captain paid me a visit in Engineering earlier, she chose he words carefully, very secretive, and the captain doesn't strike me as the kind of woman to keep her staff in the dark. To be honest this whole situation has left me feeling a little uneasy." Giving a small smile to Garrett he wondered if the scientist would shed any light on why everyone was so tight lipped about the illness aboard the Siren to the extent that he wasn't even allowed contact with the ships crew.

Garrett took a moment to carefully choose his words. The Captain was absolutely right to treat the plague on the Siren with the utmost caution. What puzzled him was why she would have given Benson so little information about the upcoming threat. If this were my ship I’d make sure everybody knew what we were getting ourselves into, and then make them all swear on their crania to treat this bug with kid gloves.

“Nothing personal, Benson, but if the Captain’s not sharing everything she knows, I’d rather not go behind her back to tell you. Suffice it to say, I want to get my hands on a sample of what the Siren’s crew is carrying, and I’m going to need this lab configured with the strictest biosecurity measures I’ve ever heard of just to get permission to bring it on board. I’m thinking”—he counted on his fingers—“triple-redundant power backups for the bio-containment units, UV sterilizers at the entrance, and a dedicated transporter lock on everything inside these four bulkheads so that we can beam everything into space if things start going wrong. That’s where you come in, if you don’t mind. Could you help me without breaking too much of my instrumentation?" He smiled.

<tag>
Gerard Garrett
Gerard Garrett

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum