Providence Fleet Yards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gerard & Verek

2 posters

Go down

Gerard & Verek Empty Gerard & Verek

Post  Verek Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:05 am

USS Rhode Island - Science Lab 01
January 8, 2387
0757 hours

Checking on all the science systems took longer this time than Verek would have liked. It left him only a few minutes to get back to his botany samples. Some of the other science officers were starting to trickle in, greeting him with hellos and nods. Everyone seemed to know what they were doing already, so he took a moment to go back to his work. Tapping on the console to open the enclosure, he noticed immediately that they were brown. Some of them drooped over the desk, pitifully. He took a moment to think, closed his eyes, and let out a calming sigh. His science professor at the academy told him to expect days like this...

Verek

Back to top Go down

Gerard & Verek Empty Re: Gerard & Verek

Post  Gerard Garrett Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:12 pm

January 8, 2387
0757 hours

Checking on all the science systems took longer this time than Verek would have liked. It left him only a few minutes to get back to his botany samples. Some of the other science officers were starting to trickle in, greeting him with hellos and nods. Everyone seemed to know what they were doing already, so he took a moment to go back to his work. Tapping on the console to open the enclosure, he noticed immediately that they were brown. Some of them drooped over the desk, pitifully. He took a moment to think, closed his eyes, and let out a calming sigh. His science professor at the academy told him to expect days like this...

January 8, 2387
1330 HRS

There were still several hours to kill before the CO’s soiree, and the Rhode Island didn’t afford much space for a raised-in-the-field biologist to roam and see new sights. Accordingly, Garrett had decided to survey the facilities in which he’d be working. Whistling a Grizellan march, he strode toward the science labs, eager to encounter his new colleagues in their natural habitat. I doubt I’ll get a dedicated bio lab, but who cares? Doesn’t matter if they’re all chemists, physicists, or gods forbid, theoretical mathematicians, we can share space. The lab doors slid apart to reveal a handful of aquamarine-shirted officers, mostly sedentary. Most of them looked up and acknowledged his entry with nods or polite smiles. If they’re always that focused five hours into the working day, I believe we’ll get along. Good. His eyes swept over the laboratory, finding little in the way of unfamiliar layout or instrumentation, but also little in the way of living things. Except…

An incubator, containing rows of seedlings, drew his eye as no display panel ever could. A tall, thin Vulcan junior lieutenant tended them, apparently engaged in research. Maybe he's a biologist, too? Let’s see.

“Hi,” Garrett greeted, walking toward the Vulcan and his botanical enclosure. “What are you growing?”

<tag>
Gerard Garrett
Gerard Garrett

Back to top Go down

Post  Verek Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:24 pm

January 8, 2387
0757 hours

January 8, 2387
1330 HRS

There were still several hours to kill before the CO’s soiree, and the Rhode Island didn’t afford much space for a raised-in-the-field biologist to roam and see new sights. Accordingly, Garrett had decided to survey the facilities in which he’d be working. Whistling a Grizellan march, he strode toward the science labs, eager to encounter his new colleagues in their natural habitat. I doubt I’ll get a dedicated bio lab, but who cares? Doesn’t matter if they’re all chemists, physicists, or gods forbid, theoretical mathematicians, we can share space. The lab doors slid apart to reveal a handful of aquamarine-shirted officers, mostly sedentary. Most of them looked up and acknowledged his entry with nods or polite smiles. If they’re always that focused five hours into the working day, I believe we’ll get along. Good. His eyes swept over the laboratory, finding little in the way of unfamiliar layout or instrumentation, but also little in the way of living things. Except…

An incubator, containing rows of seedlings, drew his eye as no display panel ever could. A tall, thin Vulcan junior lieutenant tended them, apparently engaged in research. Maybe he's a biologist, too? Let’s see.

“Hi,” Garrett greeted, walking toward the Vulcan and his botanical enclosure. “What are you growing?”

"Centaurea Phylostroph" Verek replied, while he carefully doused the third seedling from the left with exactly seven drops of water. Satisfied, he stood straight, looked at the officer and raised an eyebrow.

"a unique strain of Phylostroph to be exact, sir." He added, reaching over to a button on a console. "My name is Verek, assistant chief science officer" he said, giving the curious man a nod. The enclosure lowering on the incubator. He was done working on the seedlings for now, but when others would get close to the incubator, as almost a defense mechanism, he would close it. There was a fine line between caution and paranoia and Verek seemed to be close to it.

Verek

Back to top Go down

Post  Gerard Garrett Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:27 am

January 8, 2387
0757 hours

January 8, 2387
1330 HRS

"Centaurea Phylostroph" Verek replied, while he carefully doused the third seedling from the left with exactly seven drops of water. Satisfied, he stood straight, looked at the officer and raised an eyebrow.

"a unique strain of Phylostroph to be exact, sir." He added, reaching over to a button on a console. "My name is Verek, assistant chief science officer" he said, giving the curious man a nod. The enclosure lowering on the incubator. He was done working on the seedlings for now, but when others would get close to the incubator, as almost a defense mechanism, he would close it. There was a fine line between caution and paranoia and Verek seemed to be close to it.

“Good to meet you, Verek. My name’s Garrett. I’m a biologist.” Garrett gave the Vulcan a toothy grin, watching the incubator close out of the corner of his eye. “Centaurea, eh? I used to tend a few species of that for extra credit when I was still in school, not that they needed a lot of tending to grow well. How are these unique, besides being shy around strangers?” In Garrett’s experience, Vulcans were humorless, but there was no harm in trying to break the ice with a new colleague, particularly one who could be expected to bring the excellent Vulcan brand of science to the lab.

<tag>
Gerard Garrett
Gerard Garrett

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down